Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July's Meal Plan

Let me start off by saying Happy Canada Day!!!  I know I am a couple of days late but I wasn't going to whip a blog together after the fun filled family day we had!  We started the day off with a big family breakfast (which started at 7:30...can you believe 12 hours later when this picture was taken we are all still in our same shirts), a family worship and teaching time, friends being baptized at the lake, lunch, naps and more swimming and boating at the lake, ending the day with a family supper.  


So here we are in July and I have been been preparing a monthly meal plan for 2 weeks now.  I have been searching blogs and pinning on my summer time fun board lots of new recipes I want to try this summer.  Also I find that summer is the best time to have a meal plan cause if you don't its either too hot to cook which makes you eat crappy food or you just go with summer time classics like hotdogs and sausages. 


I have only put together a list of meals that I want to enjoy this month that way I can have the ingredients on hand to make those recipes.  There are a few things I want to do this summer as well to try to stay away from processed junk food as much as possible. 

1. Eat fruit and vegetables in season and freeze/preserve for the winter. 

Lets start with Strawberry season.   I have been finding lots of berry recipes and want to try as many as possible before our season is over.  Like this morning we had this delicious breakfast and for dessert tonight we had these nachos.  Both these recipes get two thumbs up from us!!!  For supper the other night I made some of this Strawberry Lemonade, with some frozen berries we had from last season, it was good but I did forget to strain it so it's a little tart and thick!  

Some other berry recipes to try this month include
Yogurt parfait in a jar (not sure if I will have any jars left once I make jam; but we will see)




 2. Eat lots of fresh food from our garden. 





3.  BBQ lots!!!

  Its a little too hot to use the oven so I either want to have things made in the morning, use the crock pot as much as possible and the rest can go on the grill! 



I would like the meat on the grill to be local like these delicious T-bone steaks!!! 



4.  Eat as much or as many fruits and veggies as possible.  Being a Dietitian I love food and I love talking about food so its great when you have a little helper to give you a hand in the kitchen and listen to you talk about food.  For the summer time we are doing food homeschool!! heheh  We are learning how to grow vegetables, how to prepare them and how to serve them.  We are also trying out new kinds of fruits and vegetables this summer as well. 






 5.  Enjoy the foods that you only get a summer!!  Like smores, ice cream cones and the occasional hotdog cooked over the camp fire.  These little treats are frozen Smore's and they were a big hit in our house last summer.





So on with the list of meal ideas.  Of course it is only a template but as least I know the ingredients will be here in the house and I can whip it up without having to think.

July 2012

Taco Salad
Sweet and sour chicken with fried rice
BBQ Steak
Southwest Chopped Chicken Salad
Grilled Pork Chops with potatoes and sweet potatoes
Spaghetti and meatballs
Pie Caramba
RIBS
Crockpot roast
BBQ sausages with salad
Beef Stroganoff
Chicks on sticks
Sloppy Joes
Fried Chicken
Steak bite Kabobs
Salsa chicken

There you have it some of the food we will be eating this month.  






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...