Friday, January 13, 2012

DIY play kitchen



So I am taking a break from blogging about our Daniel fast only for the day to show you the play kitchen myself and my dad made for Jaelyn.

First I found the idea to transform a night stand into a play kitchen from a blog somewhere out there in cyber space and pinned it to my DIY board on Pinterest.   Now all I had to do was find the prefect dresser and ask my dad for some help.  It was a busy summer so I didn't get out garage shopping as much as I would have like to but my super duper friend Elisabeth did and her and her husband found the PREFECT dresser for my project and purchased it for $5.00 !!!!  I was so excited when she came over with it this summer.  

When November came around we took it down to my parents house or grampies workshop and got to work changing it around a little bit to make it work as a play kitchen. 



Here is the kitchen before and one of after.   I don't know why I don't have a picture of what the dresser looked like when it was first bought.  But the top part where the "oven" is was really the drawer and where the drawer is was an open space.  I also don't know why a dresser would come with the top piece but it sure makes a great kitchen window.   I really love the original color and wish it didn't have so many scratches on it but I think the new color looks fun as well; giving it a brighter look. 


For the sink I used an old bowl we had laying around the house.  The faucet is a wooden J painted sliver and the stove elements are just painted on black circles.   We also spray painted the inside of the oven black to make it look more real and my dad put in a little wire rack.

The curtain was made from some scrap fabric my sister in law gave me and the chalk board that we put on the side came from the dollar store.  So beside our (or my dads) hard work it was a fairly good priced Christmas gift.  

The most expensive part was the sets of wooden food we bought for it.


But it has been worth it.  Here is Jaelyn playing with it just a couple of days after Christmas.  And its been fun watching different kids play with it when they have been over to our place. I couldn't be more happy with how it turned out!


For more awesome craft ideas check out I heart nap time.  


Pin It

2 comments:

Linda said...

How much fun to have a handcrafted "play" station for the children. Beautiful !

Kristen said...

Love it! I'm in process of making something similar for Olivia's 2nd birthday right now :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...