Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Crispy Granola Bars

I love making my own granola bars. Not only is it cheaper but you get a granola bar that has all your favorites in it. Lately I have been making these once every two weeks and experimenting with different ingredients. Right now I am enjoying lots of crushed peanuts and shredded coconut.

I have been making this recipe for a while and just recently revised it after figuring out a few tips to help the recipe be a crispy granola bar instead of granola. Here are a few tips for making a crispy granola bar.

1. Instant oats work the best because they are nice and small. However if you buy large flake oatmeal you will need to grind it up. I use my mini food processor or my coffee grinder.

2. Grinding large ingredients such as peanuts, almonds and large chunks of fruit.

3. Greasing the pan does not work as well as lining it with greased parchment paper. The paper makes it easy to slide off the cookie sheet and it peels right off the granola bar.

4. I was trying to cut them well they were hot. Not a good idea; its better to let them cool completely.



Snackin Granola Bars

3 1/2 cups *toasted oats (remember if you are using large flake; grind)
1 cup Dried fruit (craisins, raisins, chocolate chips, coconut)
1 cup chopped nuts (sunflower seeds, peanuts, pumpkin seeds)
2/3 melted Margarine (or I like 1/3 melted margarine, 1/3 melted peanut butter)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey, corn syrup or molasses
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients, mix well. Press firmly into well greased cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in pre heated oven 350 for20 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.

* to toast oats place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for ~10-15 minutes or until oats are turning a golden brown

For more cool kitchen tips head on over to Tammy's site.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ahhh...I have been trying and re-trying granola bar recipes for months now. I've yet to find one that is just right.
I've thought it was b/c I refuse to use corn syrup, but perhaps that isn't the sole cause.
I'm going to give this one a go and see if it fairs better than all the others!
I'm looking for something more chewy and soft than crispy (AND won't crumble and fall apart)...and tips on how to get this w/out corn syrup??

Atm said...

Thanks so much...I had planned to make granola today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...