Friday, April 4, 2008

Simple Granola

Hey...sorry I have been so long since the last post. Life is pretty busy with a teething 3 month old and my Dietitian exam is coming up next month. Every spare moment I have these days I have been spending it with my nose in my books.

I do want to share with you a recipe that a friend of mine shared with me. She makes this Granola monthly and gave me the recipe. Its from the cook book more with less. It has a delicious flavor that goes great with your morning cereal, is a lovely topping on yogurt and even is a great snack on its own.

Simple Granola

2 cups flour (I used 1 whole wheat and 1 white)
6 cups Large flake rolled oats
1 cup Coconut
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 tsp salt
* I also added cinnamon, nutmeg, sesame seeds, cornmeal, ground flax, and sunflower seeds.
1 cup oil
1 cup honey or corn syrup ( I used all corn syrup but my friend does 1/2 cup of each)
1/2 cup water
2 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 250.
2. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl
3. Blend wet ingredients into a 4 cup meauring cup
4. Add wet to dry and mix.
5. Spread onto greased 2 greased cookie sheets
6. Bake for 23 minutes then switch sheets and bake for 23 min or until dry and golden. ( I left mine a bit longer cause I like a harder granola)

7. Cool and then add
Raisins
Dried Cranberries
Nuts (almonds)
8. Store in air tight container





Granola is such a wonderful super food because the ingredients in it provide the body with essential vitamins and minerals it needs to function. Also many of the ingredients in it provide other GREAT benefits that will help you get through your day. Just to name a few; wheat germ is a delicious source of zinc, vitamin E, folate, and other B-complex vitamins. It helps the body maintain energy levels, enhances fat metabolism and helps to protect against heart disease. Oats are a great food because they help to lower levels of cholesterol while providing you with a great source of iron, fiber, protein, carbohydrates and folic acid. We all know that almonds have many healthy benefits and should be incorporated into your daily diet as they help maintain healthy body fat levels and strengthen the cardiovascular system.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there, sounds good and healthy...hard to believe those two words go together. I have so much to learn as far as diet goes, mine is horrible.

Frannie said...

Hi Kate, I've been making your granola for over a year now (2x a month I make a batch...hungry granola boys in this house). Anyway I just wanted to thank you for posting it b/c I'm in the process of making 8 batches for Christmas gifts. Yeah!!! yummy, frugal gifts:)
Frannie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...